Pages

Saturday, December 21, 2013

Building a Banquette (a.k.a. a Window Seat)

Like many people, we have a bay window in the eating area of our kitchen. We watch the sunrise every morning from that window and eat dinner there every evening. When we got our hardwoods installed, we didn't install the baseboards right away. Our bay window looked like this.

 
After awhile, I started getting annoyed at dinnertime when the demolition crew would knock their chairs into those windows. So, a few weeks ago, I took an inventory of my scrap wood and decided it was time to get the power tools out again. First, I framed it out.
 
 
Notice the heating vent. I used the original vent cover and just framed out a box to fit into the banquette. It's much better this way. We don't have to vacuum it out anymore to remove food and Legos :).
 
 
I then measured for my luan pieces that would cover the sides. I bought a 4'x8' piece at the Home Depot for around $15 and had them cut it to size. So all I had to do when I got home was jigsaw out the hole for the heating vent. I had some MDF left over from another project, so I just cut out three pieces to fit the top and hinged the middle piece for some hidden storage.
 

 
The final step was trim. I trimmed it out with cheap 1'x4's and used a decorative trim around the top. And that's a wrap. I'm going to paint it when I paint the rest of the trim. The angles were a little tricky, but not too bad. The project took about three hours and only cost $50, since I had almost half of the supplies on hand.
 
 
 
I will eventually cover it with cushions, but it serves the purpose for now. The kiddos love it and no more chairs banging into the windows. You will see it again all pretty and painted when I finish the rest of the kitchen. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
 
Nicole

 





1 comment:

  1. it looks gorgeous, i have a similar situation but don't dare to try and do it myself, i wouldn't know how much wood needed to hold at least 300lbs for adults to sit comfortably and not afraid it will break underneath them. But, it came out gorgeous for you. Enjoy

    ReplyDelete