Pages

Friday, October 4, 2013

Half Time and Budget Check

Well, it's been two entire months since I started tearing up our house and a month since my last post. We have been consumed by the huge task of ripping up all of the existing floors so we could finally get our new beautiful hardwoods installed. I am pleased to announce that as of yesterday, we can walk barefoot anywhere in our house without threat of nail, splinter or shards of tile!
 
I also finished the reconfiguration of the kitchen. We went 6 days with out a sink and 3 weeks with cardboard countertops (very trendy, I know). I hung the last of the wall cabinets this morning! So here are a few pictures at half time. I am reposting the before pictures for comparison.

Before

 

Half Time

 

Before

 

Half Time

 

Before

 

Half Time

 
 
I still have a lot of work ahead of me, but it's mostly cosmetic. The layout is fantastic! I can now dust off my beloved paint brush! (Literally, it's been sooo dusty in here!) Everything looks very dark right now, but the cabinets are going white. My original plan was to leave the top of my awesome custom-built island dark and go light on the rest, but I'm having second thoughts. The barstools will be painted first, then I will decide. So, what's left besides a LOT of paint? Backsplash tile, lighting, and drywall repair. I will eventually plank the ceiling and wrap the beams as well.
 
BUDGET BREAKDOWN
 
We've been doing well on the budget, although we are over because Mr. Skeptic was kind enough to hire someone to install the floors. We found some great deals on appliances that we weren't originally going to replace, so these are now listed in the budget. My sister talked me out of wooden countertops because they wouldn't be as durable as granite. Also, my dad blessed us with an unexpected gift of $1000.
 
Tile Removal  $200
Flooring          $2900
Padding           $200
Installation      $1200
Granite            $798
Ikea Sink         $100 (found it on Craig's List)
Sink Cabinet   $160
Electrical         $285
Structural        $1950
Backsplash      $430
Spindle Wall   $62
Paint                $150
Stove               $600
Dishwasher     $410
                       ($1000) for items sold on Craig's List
TOTAL          $8445
 
Not too shabby for a kitchen, living room, dining room makeover! I will be sharing some tutorials soon, I promise. Until then, happy DIYing.
 
Nicole
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment