Pages

Saturday, November 30, 2013

I Am An Island

I hope everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving and all the shopping you could stand, if that's your thing. We stayed home and decorated for Christmas, then went downtown and saw the coolest boat parade ever! I really love Chattanooga.


So, I've been a total slacker in the blogging department because I've been so busy trying to finish up. Well, TRYING is the key word here! My sister and I have also kicked off our sign-making business and we need to stock up for some upcoming events.

  
...and then there was that screw through the thumb incident (sorry, no pics). So that's almost healed and I'm on a roll again! Backsplash tile is almost complete, drywall is getting patched, baseboards are going in, and my banquette will be finished after another visit to the lumber yard. But what I really want to show you this time is my kitchen island. I decided to paint it, and I'm very pleased with the results. Here are some 'Before' pictures. It's such a great piece. Rachael and Josh from Backyard Wonders are amazing! They custom-built this piece for me and delivered it to my kitchen for $660. Please consider finding a local craftsman before ordering from Pottery Barn. You will get great quality, help support a local family, AND save money!
 

 

I was considering leaving the island the dark color, but then I was inspired by something I saw on Pinterest, of course, and decided to go for it. After a few hours, I was finished...
 
 


Painting is an interesting thing. I know some people gasp every time I talk about putting paint to wood. But it's really about personal preference. I needed a little contrast. I dry brushed with a latex flat paint then sanded a few spots the next day. Mr. Skeptic (a.k.a. my husband) asked me when I was going to put on the second coat. That's it, folks! No second coat here...he thought I was joking. I may sand a few more spots eventually, but I think it looks pretty awesome the way it is!
 
Thanks Rachael and Josh for an amazing piece that I am sure will withstand the test of time AND my little demolition crew, and be the center of our kitchen for years to come!
 
Lots more to come! I will hopefully be tying up a bunch of loose ends before Christmas.
Nicole







No comments:

Post a Comment